Friday, January 1, 2010

Beefy Black-eyed Pea Soup


Well I am eating my black eyed peas for my luck this year I figure I need all the help I can get....lol. My great-aunt Pearl use to make this soup when all the family got together because it is pretty darn good and feeds a lot.

Beefy Blacked-Eyed Pea Soup

2lb ground beef
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 qt. water
1 (28 oz.) can of whole tomatoes(undrained)
1 (16 oz. pkg frozen black-eyed peas (I like dried peas, cooked)
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped carrots
1 c. chopped celery
2 tbsp. beef flavored bouillon granules
1 tbsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Cook beef and green pepper until browned. Stir crumble and drain. Melt butter in Dutch oven or large skillet; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add water. Continue stirring until bubbly.

Stir in beef mixture and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer around an hour or until tender. Makes about 4 1/2 quarts.

I sometimes add crumbled, cooked bacon or breakfast sausage and other vegetable.

In memory of Pearl Aldridge Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment